Important Reminder on the Visa Waiver Program/ESTA and Travel to the United States
The United States Embassy in Abu Dhabi wishes to remind those who are able to travel to the United States via the Visa Waiver Program that as of 01 April 2016, they must have a valid electronic passport. This rule applies even to those who possess a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). The U.S. Embassy strongly recommends that all travelers check to ensure their passports are valid electronic passports before they make arrangements to travel to the United States on the Visa Waiver Program.
You can check if your passport is valid for travel under the VWP by carefully
reading the following page:
Any traveler who does not have a valid electronic passport is still eligible to travel to the United States with a valid nonimmigrant visa issued by a U.S. embassy or consulate. Such travelers will be required to appear for an interview and obtain a visa in their passports at a U.S. embassy or consulate before traveling to the United States. Information on visa applications can be found at:
Iranian Citizens Resident in the UAE
Special Announcement for Iranian citizens resident in the UAE: For a limited time, Iranian citizens who are full time legal residents of the UAE can now schedule nonimmigrant visa appointments in Abu Dhabi. Appointments will be opened for specific days in June 2016. If you are an Iranian citizen who is a full time legal resident of the UAE, follow the instructions below to schedule a visa interview appointment at the US Embassy in Abu Dhabi. Capacity is limited. Interviews will be conducted in English or Arabic only; if you do not speak English or Arabic, you must bring an interpreter. The interpreter must bring a valid photo ID to enter the Consular Section.
اطلاعیه ویژه برای شهروندان ایرانى مقيم در امارات متحده عربی: برای زمانى محدود، شهروندان ایرانی که تمام وقت ساکن قانونی در امارات متحده عربی هستند هم اکنون می توانند در سفارت امريكا در ابوظبى وقت مصاحبه براى ویزای غیرمهاجرتی (ملاقاتى) اقدام كنند. وقتهاى مصاحبه برای روزهاى خاصى در ماه جون 2016 باز خواهد شد. اگر شما یک شهروند ایرانی که تمام وقت ساکن و داراى اقامت امارات متحده عربی هستيد، دستورالعمل های زیر را براى دريافت وقت مصاحبه ویزا در سفارت آمریکا در ابوظبی دنبال کنید. ظرفیت محدود است. مصاحبه فقط به زبان انگلیسی و یا به زبان عربی انجام خواهد گرفت؛ اگر به زبان انگلیسی یا عربی صحبت نمی کنيد، شما باید یک مترجم با خود بیاورد. مترجم باید یک كارت شناسائى عکسدار برای ورود به بخش کنسولی به بهمراه بیاورد
Instructions: Please send your name and date of birth, along with copies of your passport and Emirates identification card to AbuDhabiNIV_Iran@state.gov. We will contact you with further instructions.
Attention: Chinese citizens with 10-year B1, B2 or B1/B2 visas in Peoples’ Republic of China Passports
11 March, 2016
In accordance with the agreement signed between the United States and China to extend visa validity, beginning in November 2016, Chinese citizens with 10-year B1, B2 or B1/B2 visas in Peoples’ Republic of China passports will be required to update their biographical and other information from their visa application via a website every two years, or upon getting a new passport, whichever occurs first. This mechanism will be called EVUS - Electronic Visa Update System.
根据美中双方签署的延长签证有效期的协议，自2016年11月起，凡持有10 年 B1，B2 或 B1/B2签证的中华人民共和国护照持有人需要每两年或在获取新护照时（无论哪种情况先发生），通过网站更新他们签证申请上的个人资料及其他信息。这个机制我们称之为EVUS –签证更新电子系统。
You do not need to take any action until the EVUS online update system becomes available in November 2016. The Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will keep visa holders informed of new information throughout the year. For further information, please visit www.cbp.gov/EVUS.
How to Apply for a Visa
In order to apply for a non-immigrant visa to travel to the United States, you should follow the steps listed below. Non-immigrant visas include those for tourism, medical treatment, students and temporary workers. Information regarding different types of visa and the requirements to qualify for those visas can be found at http://usvisa-info.com/. Be sure to have all the necessary documents ready in order to facilitate the application process.
The basic steps of the application process for a visa to the United States are as follows:
- Get a visa photo (important information about photo standards); photos taken more than six months before the interview will not be accepted. Submitting a photo older than six months will delay your visa processing.
- Complete the DS-160 application form online (you must fully answer all questions on the application) and print the one page confirmation sheet. Please be sure to provide a valid email address so we can contact you if needed.
- Pay the visa application fee. You may pay the fee online, via phone or in person. Please visit http://usvisa-info.com/ for more information. Please Note: this fee is not refundable.
- Make an appointment. Visit http://usvisa-info.com/ to obtain information about visa types, appointments and delivery of approved visas.
- Prepare your supporting documents, which vary depending on the purpose of your travel. Detailed information is available at http://usvisa-info.com. Click on the link below for information about the most common visa types.
6. On the day of your appointment, please come to the Embassy or Consulate General no earlier than 15 minutes prior to your appointment time. Please do not bring any bags, briefcases, etc. with you when you come to the Embassy for your visa interview. Only applicants will be allowed into the consular section, according to their appointment time. Children under 14 years of age and adults over the age of 79 are not required to appear for an interview and their applications may be submitted via Empost courier services. Please visit http://usvisa-info.com/ for additional information.
If your visa is approved, it will be available for pick up at the designated Empost courier location once the Embassy has finished processing your visa.
The website of our visa services provider, http://usvisa-info.com/ contains extensive information regarding all aspects of the visa application process. The service provider also operates a call center which is available Sunday to Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m and can answer questions about the application process. In addition, you may visit our Frequently Asked Questions for additional information.
If you already had your interview and would like to follow up on your case status, please click here.
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.