Please Note: Replacements for lost or stolen passports cannot be issued outside of normal Embassy working hours. A lost or stolen passport is not/not necessarily an emergency. A same-day emergency passport can be issued in a true emergency only. For example, an imminent vacation or business trip does not constitute an emergency. Regular replacement passports require 7 days at a minimum to process so please be prepared to change your plans. In addition, after obtaining the replacement passport and before leaving the UAE—if you cannot show a UAE entry stamp—you must obtain a Permission to Exit document from the UAE Immigration Office on Saada Street in Abu Dhabi.
If you have a lost, stolen, or severely damaged passport, please apply for a replacement passport immediately. The lost/stolen passport can no longer be used after a new application is made. To apply for a replacement passport, you must make an appointment* and come in person to the Embassy with the following:
1. Passport Application Form DS-11. Completed but not signed. (List local address for Mailing Address although passport will not be mailed.
- Online DS-11 form, please complete online and then print, please do not sign; or
- PDF DS-11 form (PDF 1000 KB) please print and then complete by hand;
- You will sign the DS-11 form in front of a consular officer at the Embassy
2. Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport DS-64 (PDF 767 KB). Completed but not signed.
3. Make an appointment on our online appointment system.
4. Provide a police report from local authorities.
5. One photograph (Photo must be 2 inches by 2 inches SQUARE, recent, and with white background as outlined here (PDF 45 KB). If you have incorrect photos, you will have to make a second trip to the embassy to complete your application.)
6. If available, bring any identification documents you have (driver's license, labor card, work ID, etc)
7. If available, bring original evidence of citizenship (original U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or Consular Report of Birth Abroad).
8. If the replacement passport is for a child under age 16, please bring the child and provide:
- Child's original birth certificate for proof of parentage
- Both parents' consent - Both parents must come in person with ID to sign for the child's passport. (If one parent is out of the country, please provide an original, notarized Statement of Consent from that parent. If one parent has sole custody, that parent must sign and provide a legally binding court document granting sole custody.) The parental consent requirement cannot be waived.
9. The fee is $105 USD to replace a child's passport. This is payable in U.S. dollars, dirhams, or by credit card.
10. The fee is $135 USD to replace an adult's passport. This is payable in U.S. dollars, dirhams, or by credit card.
The new e-passport is printed in the U.S. and requires about two and half weeks to process. You may keep your current passport and have it cancelled when you collect your new passport from the Embassy (we will not cancel the UAE residence visa). If you live in Al Ain, please ask about our courier service when you apply at the embassy.
*Please note that if you have an emergency, you may call during public hours to obtain an emergency appointment.
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.